Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Snapped!

I had a feeling this was going to happen. I broke my first knitting needle. Ever. These are Brittany Birch, size US 1. When I first started using them, their flexibility seemed so fragile, and I was very afraid they would snap. But they made it through several pairs of socks with no problem. Until this pair. I was pulling the sock on after I turned the heel Tuesday morning, and I felt it pop.

Fortunately, I have an extra set of these needles, so I just swiped one needle from the second set. I never ever buy two sets of needles of the same size. This was a total accident that I happen to have two sets of size 1. And isn't it a little eerie that these are the ones that broke?

About the sock. I'm losing the love on this one. Although I turned the heel in the early morning, I was only able to work 3 inches of the leg all day Tuesday. And Wimbledon was on the tv! The perfect knitting background! Wednesday wasn't much better--I did finish it but it only took another 2 inches. I have managed to figure the cabling without a needle, so that does help push it along, but man, this pattern is so boring now it's sucking the life out of me. I'm actually contemplating cleaning to avoid working on it today. And I have a whole 'nother sock to do after this one.

Once I start the second sock of a pair, I allow myself to start thinking about my next project. If I think about it before I finish the first sock, then I'm afraid I'll never finish the pair. I have no idea what I'm going to do next, but I'm leaning towards the jade yarn, or the lilacs in bloom.

Of course, if the Pink Posh Package arrives before I finish this sock, that could upset everything.

Today is the third day of our heat wave, with strong thunderstorms forecast for later today. Herself and I won't be leaving the house today. It's a perfect time for sock knitting and other summerly stuff.

No comments: