Monday, March 24, 2008

Does the Pattern Really Matter?

When I start a new pair of socks I spend a good amount of time trying to match the pattern to the yarn. My general rule of thumb is the busier the pattern, the simpler the yarn, and vice versa. I've always wondered why some people churn out pair after pair of plain stockinette stitch socks when there are so may wonderful patterns out there.


So when I pulled out my Pigenroof Studios Superwash Sport in Plum Tortie, I found myself in a bit of a predicament. The speckled yarn definitely wanted something simple. A plain rib would be too simple, I thought.


I finally settled on Lace Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks. And this is what they look like finished.

I don't like the pattern. It does nothing for the yarn. But you know what looks great? The soles knit in stockinette. Yep, I learned a lesson here. Ain't nothing wrong with plain old stockinette.





Book #10 What Do You Do All Day?

Book #11 White House Nannies

Ravelry Stash Count: 113

No comments: