Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Tolerance

So I ran out of yarn for My So Called Scarf. One skein took it to 60 inches, which is just a little too short for my taste. So I ordered another skein. And I treated myself to this:




A skein of "Grinchy" Looks a lot like another skein--Holiday Rocks maybe? that's ok. Can't have too many Christmas socks, right?

So after I ran out of yarn, I should have started on the next Shifting Sands, but I didn't. I decided I just wasn't happy unless I had a pair of socks on the needles. So I cast on with an unfamiliar yarn and pattern. I knew immediately that I wouldn't like the yarn. Very scratchy. The stitch pattern was lovely, but I wasn't thrilled with the construction. Last night I turned the heel, and then I gave up. It just wasn't going to work for me. I knew I'd never wear these socks. So this morning I ripped and tossed. Yeah, that's right. Tossed. I'm getting too old to work with yarn or a pattern that isn't making me happy. There was nothing anyone would ever be able to do to make this yarn work for me. So it's gone. No guilt. Well, maybe just a little.

So along with the second skein of Nodding Violet and Grinchy, this came in the mail yesterday:


I joined Chewy Spaghetti's Holiday sock club, and this is the yarn for Halloween. It's funny because I was completely expecting orange and black, and look what I got! I like it a lot. I like it so much that I'm going to cast on with it today to replace the sock who shall remain nameless. I figured that if I knit socks for half a day, and then whatever Christmas gift I'm working on for the other half, I can get all the gifts finished, and still be knitting socks.

And that will make me very, very happy.

No comments: