Friday, December 15, 2006

It just went bad. Real bad.

Well, on Sunday I settled on the Lupine Lace pattern for my mom's pair of socks, and cast on late afternoon. Things were going well until I got to the heel. Although I followed the pattern, it turned out a little longer than it should have. It was about 8 1/2 inches long. I wasn't crazy about the length, and considered ripping out one repeat of the lace. Then I changed my mind and continued. Gusset was fine. This morning I knit away, thinking I'm about an hour away from the toe decreases (which made me very happy, because I thought that would give me some definite possibility of finishing the first sock today.)

And that's when it happened.

I realized that instead of alternating each row of the lace pattern with a straight knit row, I was doing all lace pattern. For about 2 inches.

I looked at it, willing it to fix itself before my eyes, but that #&%$# thing just sat there and mocked me.

So I ripped back to the end of the gusset, and tried picking up the stitches. Have you ever tried to rework a frog on a size 1 needle?

It's sitting there, over on the ottoman, still mocking me.

I'll have to rip it entirely and start over.

At least I'll be able to correct the length issue, but now I don't think there's any way I can finish the pair by the 26th.

snif.

No comments: