Monday, July 09, 2007

Is perfection too much to ask?

So I started the morning glory wrap on saturday. I was trying to pay attention to the pattern instructions, and I wasn't really watching what was being knit. I had a feeling that something was wrong. The pattern called for a size 9 needle, but I used an 8 because I didn't have any size 9's long enough. It was knitting up very, very loose. So loose that the border looked like a tangled mess of yarn, not stitches. But I did what I usually do when things like this happen. I ignored it, hoping that it would fix itself when I wasn't looking.



By the time I did two repeats of the purse stitch, I faced reality and ripped it. I started again on size six needles. It looks significantly better, and significantly narrower. The narrowness I can accept. The "supposed to be a wrap but now it's a scarf" was for my mom, and I think she's more of a scarf person than a wrap person.

So here we have it:




I like the definition on the border. But it's still not what I expected. I'm going to keep going until I get to the main body pattern before I make the final decision.

I bought 5 skeins from Posh yesterday. 2 skeins of Louche, a very rich navy blue, Ormulu, an unusual goldish brown, Savoir-Faire, a lovely heathered green-brown, and Bergamot, because I love Earl Gray. That's 5 skeins of sock yarn--one of the Louche will be a Christmas gift, I think.

And thank goodness someone else bought Zeitgeist.

No comments: